Rebranding Proposal for Caliber

caliber rebranding_Page_09
This was our last project for graphic design, and was due after our studio project, so truthfully most of the work was done in one day, although the logo ideas had been brewing for most of a week. I was one of perhaps three people in the class of twentysomething who did NOT present initials or logotypes. This is what happens when the professor gives a due date after the studio due date: everyone is half-dead already and feels lucky to have come up with anything to hand in at all.

I had noticed that the owner Claudie St-Arnaud liked playful designs from the inspiration file she sent us, and so I created visual puns, used bright colours, and chose more rounded, friendly sans-serif fonts. There are indeed gun/bullet references: a very typographical bullet from a C and an asterisk, and another logo that clips a section of a woodcut-style illustration of a revolver until it looks almost abstract.

The best way to see the work is to go see the slideshow (opens in new window) at my Flickr account.

Infographics — Class Profile

A#3 charts_Page_3
For Project Management 1, we needed to survey the class and create infographics for favourite activity, languages spoken, and favourite colour. Having read some Edward Tufte, I thought this was good fun, aside from the surveying part, so I made a deal with a classmate that I’d do some proofreading, and she would survey people.

Here are the results:

Swiss House

View 2, colour This project is the culmination of a semester spent learning 3D Studio Max, the most complicated and option-infested program I have ever used, and that’s saying something. We learned basic modelling, some of the available modifiers, lighting, and texturing. Our teacher was, by his own admission, relatively new to 3D Studio Max, so I taught myself quite a lot beyond the lecture material, using the help files and internet tutorials.

The project set:

Download the model (3DS Max file, 14mb).

The Tesla – Bar Details

tesla bar details-07 Much like the stair details for the Tesla, the bar details again do not quite correspond to the final plans, since the detailing professor had requirements different from our design professor. Again, the look and feel of the bar are as intended, especially the elaborate front and canopy patterns of gears.

The gear and text patterns were created in Illustrator, and oh, was it ever miserable work. Illustrator and AutoCAD dislike trading files back and forth. In the end I triumphed and had a very nicely steampunk-and-Art-Nouveau bar.

See the set on Flickr.

Download the CAD drawing.

The Tesla – Stair Details

tesla stair details-05

This set of drawings detail the main guest stairs at the Tesla. Unfortunately our detailing teacher had certain requirements, so they are not the same number of risers as the final project stairs. They do however share the shape, rise and run, and tread materials and detailing. The construction is not quite the same, since the version for detailing class was freestanding with no stairwell wall to attach to.

See the set on Flickr.

Download the CAD drawing.

Lightbox

Narrow, deep, and low - DramaticThis project focused on creating specific spatial effects through lighting. I built a model to given proportions and had to create multiple lids for it, which would mimic the effects of different treatments when lit from above by the classic architect’s desk lamp.

The first effect was “narrow, deep, and low,” seen in the feature image above. I used long, slender slits pushed to one side of the room, running front to back. This was to create a series of lines leading the eye deep into the space, which were all close together, leaving the other side of the room unlit, so that viewers would not notice that area so much. The slits were also cut so that on top, they were wide, and at the bottom they were narrow. This produced interesting patterns with the light source held at certain angles and distances. Very little light hit the ceiling, pushing it down.

Narrow, deep, and low - Unexpected effects
Narrow, deep, and low -- patterns created by triangular slits
Wide, Shallow, and Tall - Shadow patterns
Wide, shallow, and tall
Dapples - Sidelit
Dappled light

The second effect was “wide, shallow, and tall.” For this one, I cut wide rectangles running across, and then built dropped reflectors that bounced light back onto the ceiling. One opening was specifically placed by the back wall, to make sure that wall was well-lit, bringing it forward. The wide bars of light running across the space made it look wider and shallower. The reflectors also created patterns of shadow when lit at angles.

The final effect was one of our choosing. I wanted to create a dappled light with different intensities, by filtering some openings but not all with translucent paper. The paper was also an openwork Japanese tissue, to further break down the light. Many small organic shapes were punched through the ceiling, and they created an effect somewhere between a disco and a forest.

See the whole set and the presentation slide deck on Flickr.

Real-World Stress Test

Our smashable structure For this assignment, our Building Materials and Construction class split into small groups and built structures large enough to hold an 8 x 8 x 14 inch box, out of any materials, joined any way except welding or soldering, with no member thicker than half an inch. They also had to have flat tops, because on the due date, we stress-tested them by loading them down with bricks — or people — until they collapsed under the load. They were scored according to how much weight they carried versus how much they weighed, with the most efficient structure winning. Continue reading