When I worked in the HCS group at HP, I found a simple and efficient way to organize the paper copy of our knowledgebase (KB).1 It required much less work and paper to update than the alternative.
So that the techs could find the printed-out articles in the binders, I planned to make tables of contents and indices by client and article title. The trouble was the page numbers those needed. If I used book-style page numbers, I would have to renumber at least one 2″ binder full of pages, and then correct the index and contents by hand every single time an article changed length. Continue reading
- The master copy was on the intranet, but after a power outage disrupted customer service, management decided they needed a copy on paper for emergencies. ↩